Have benign squamous cells and urethan cells, crystals in urine. Had kidney and bladder infection. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I have benign squamous cells and a few urethan cells, with some crystals in urine. Also blood. Have had CT done already and the test where a small camera is passed into the bladder is scheduled. Am seeing a very good urologist, finally, after 2 kidney infections and many bladder infections this fall and winter. I also have a double ureter on the left side, which comes together into one leading into the bladder. So what can this mean?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

So you have blood in the urine and some epithelial cells of the urinary tract. Such finding in the urine can be caused by urinary tract infection, stones or some narrow places in the urinary tract which partially obstructs urine flow so it can not get out completely (like a reflux from urinary bladder to kidney).
Also elevated blood sugar level (diabetes) can make you prone to recurring infections.

Double ureter is nothing more than two ureters what gives your left kidney double connection with the bladder. Usually it does not give any problems. Moreover, it can make left kidney stones completely painless (as even if it will stuck in one ureter, urine can flow with the second one.

Cystoscopy(small camera procedure) is a very good idea and should be done as a next step. I hope that the CT were done with urographic phase (CT urography).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have benign squamous cells and urethan cells, crystals in urine. Had kidney and bladder infection. Suggest? 0 minute later
The double ureter on the left kidney joins into one, with narrowing, BEFORE it gets to the bladder. This has been the cause of past left kidney infections.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Well, you havent mentioned that there is a narrowing. Like I have said before, double ureter usually does not cause any problems (no matter if it joins with a bladder or ureter).

As you have been diagnosed and the reason of your infections is know, cystoscopy might not help much. There is a possibility of ureteric catheter (so called DJ) inserting, however surgery might be necessary.

Hope this will help.