Have been taking amitriptylinr. Have had really bad itching. Side effects?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been taking amitriptylinr XXXXXXX 75 mg for a number of years, lately I have had really bad icthing attacks at night that some times last for hours. I'm wondering it this medicine may be causing this! Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The itching attacks that you are having at night could be due to amitryptaline that you are taking.
Such altered sensations, pins and needles, itching are common side effects of this medicine. You can wait for a few days and see if it subsides spontaneously since this is a self limiting symptom. In case the itching is persistent then do consult your physician for a good alternative according to the severity of the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.