Have been experiencing dizzy spells of late. Underlying cause?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have been experiencing dizzy spells of late
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 58 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I am assuming your question is regarding the cause of your dizzy spells.
There are many causes of dizziness and most of them are not serious. It may be caused by a viral infection affecting the ear. If this is the case then there may be associated vertigo which is when your surroundings appear as if they are moving and this can happen when you are lying down as well as upright.
Migraine can cause dizziness and is often associated with a headache, nausea and visual disturbances.
Stress and anxiety are a common cause. A low blood sugar or a low blood pressure can cause dizziness. If you experience dizziness when you stand up then this may be related to your blood pressure. Dehydration is sometimes a cause.
If the blood flow to parts of the brain is inadequate, this may cause dizziness secondary to arterial disease. Some drugs cause dizziness as a side-effect.
These are some of the commoner causes of dizziness. If you are finding the dizzy spells are a problem then I would suggest a visit to your doctor is needed. A full assessment can then be carried out to help find the cause.
I hope this has helped. If you have any further questions, please do not hasitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger