Have been dismissed by doctors, cannot go to doctor anymore. How to overcome this?

Hello, I'd just like some advice; I am really afraid of going to see a doctor. I have been dismissed too many times when I was in need, and my underlying issues were never addressed.

I have got the mentality that everything is psychologically based because I have been sent home without any help too many times. I just can't bring myself to go to go to see a doctor for anything? I don't know how to overcome this problem.

Thank you for your time.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I understand your concern.

You were dismissed too many times by a doctor when you were actually in need. This is not fair to happen. Either the doctor would think that there is no problem at all with you or the doctor would be just negligent of you.

As you rightly said, everything is psychologically based. However, a doctor cannot deny examining you when in need.

Let me give you a few suggestions:

1. Try going to a doctor with someone close to you like your mother, your close friend or your mentor.

2. Talk to your friends or close family relatives who have a regular family physician with whom they are comfortable. Check the reviews of few doctors as to their general attitude towards patients.

3. If any of them give a good review about a doctor, please speak to them that you are in need of a doctor and have some unaddressed health issues.

4. You may take them along with you for your first appointment to feel more comfortable and also to get the required attention.

5. Please feel free and speak to the doctor about your problems specifically. It is better for you to write your health concerns in a sheet of paper that needs to be addressed and speak accordingly with the doctor. In such case, there won't be rambling from your side.

6. Go for 2 to 3 follow ups regularly, soon you will know your doctor better and vice versa.

7. I am sure you will find a good doctor who understands you better very soon.

Do write back for further assistance if required, I would be happy to help you.