Have been diagnosed with mild primary pulmonary hypertension. What are the side effects of tadalafil? Will yoga help to cure the disaese?

Oct 2013

I have been diagnosed with mild primary pulmonary hypertension thru ecg. what will help me recover. i am given to understand there is no cure. what are the ill effects of tadalafil and inhalers prescibed and will yoga and acupunture help
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
regular medication will improve clinical symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.
Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
I understand your concern.

You are well aware that this disease has no cure as of now.
The drugs like prostacyclin analogues, endothelin receptor antagonists, phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors and Calcium channel blockers, and other novel drug therapies has greatly improved the outlook for patients. These drugs will improve clinical condition but not disease process.

There are many side effects of tadalafil , these are commonly encountered side effeccts: headache, dyspepsia, back pain, myalgia, nasal congestion, flushing, pain in limbs, diarrhea, and cough. Less commonly hypersensitivity , migraine, visual defects and cardiovascular events can occur.

Inhalers from vasodilators group that are prescribed in primary pulmnory hypertension can cause adverse effects like Flushing, cough, hypotension, nausea, headache, jaw pain, trismus, palpitations, syncope, insomnia, and vomiting.

My response will be limited to medical query and management , I cannot comment on acupuncture or yoga.

I Hope answered your query.
Any further information you can ask me on follow up query
or direct question at
WWW.WWWW.WW Regards.
Follow-up: Have been diagnosed with mild primary pulmonary hypertension. What are the side effects of tadalafil? Will yoga help to cure the disaese? 6 hours later
Certain days i am ok other days i am very bad when i get up. has it something to with sleeping position. will poluution acclerate this condition as i live in mumbai and come across traffic snarls often.

what is the amt of water i have to drink. my throat is always dry but as of now no problem with urination.

is there a better line of treatment other than tadalafil and inhalers with respect to minimsing strain on the heart and other organs.

i understand from sites that management of this requires monitoring of diet,heart and lungs . do you know of any center in mumbai where such a facility is available as a consensus.

How will i know when the disease progresses.

Most importantly please suggest the name of a good pulmonologist in mumbai

what about oxygen therapy. how does one go about doing that and will that help
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further management depends on clinical condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
I understand your concern.

Sleeping position has nothing to do with disease, You can sleep in any comfortable position.

Pollution will not directly effect the disease process as such but pollution can compromise lung function that are already effected by pulmonary hypertension.
Try to avoid pollution as far as possible.

You can take as much of water you want, no restriction are there.
Dryness might be due to the inhalers that your using .

Tadalafil and vasodilator inhalers are basic drugs that are used in primary pulmonary hypertension. Calcium channel blockers and parenteral vasodilators are also used according clinical condition. Medication for heart are started when it is getting compromised by disease process.

My working place is outside mumbai , I have very less information about centers or Pulmonologist in and around your area. My recommendation would be that you can visit center with good clinical research work.

There are symptoms which indicate disease progression
1) Increase breathing difficulty.
2) Limitations in your daily activity.
3) Right sided abdominal pain indicating hepatic congestion.
4) Pedal edema.
5) Abdominal distention .
If above symptoms are present you need to visit doctor.

Oxygen therapy is indicated only in cases with resting or exercise induced hypoxia.

Hope I answered your query.
Any information you can ask me in follow up query.