Have been being sick for some time, currently have bruises all over the body. Suggest?

Dec 2013

ive been being sick for some time, currently waiting for appointment to come through to have a camera have a look. ive noticed recently bruises all over, what could this be?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for bruises all over body.

Regarding the problem of bruises which we call medially as "purpuric or ecchymotic spots" is common condition seen due to multiple causes.

In your case it can be a normal phenomenon or can be due to other causes. As I can get the history of blood poisoning, toxic shock and ectopic pregnancy so one or all of these can be the implicating factors in causing the bruises. Otherwise also it can be some times due to without any obvious cause especially in females.

To guide you elaborately- Bruise or the purpura is simply formed due to extravasation and collection of red blood cells from the vessels under the skin. This results in formation of reddish spots which we call as Bruise in simple language.

There are multiple of factors causing extravasation of red blood cells from the vessels-

1. Due to trauma to the small blood vessels of the skin.

2. Due to some problem in the platelets ( the cells which prevents the extravasation of red blood cells from the vessels and forms the clot).

3. Due to problem with the coagulation factors which helps in repair of the injury to blood vessels and helps in clot formation.

4. Due to combination of all these factors.

IN females some times when all these are fine even then there can be tendency of bruising just before or near the time of menstrual cycle. This is a totally normal phenomenon in females where nothing is abnormal. This happens due to some hormonal change and certain changes in clotting mechanism in females at the time of menses which leads to the process of early bruising.

So you can probably get simply the factors involved in the bruising. Now as I mentioned previously that in your case it can be normal phenomenon or can be due to certain other problems which you have mentioned in your medical history.

At certain times there are certain medications which also can cause interference with normal coagulation mechanism. So if you are on certain medications then also it can lead to bruising.

For the best part of the diagnosis there are simple tests of platelet function and coagulation factors done routinely in all the simple laboratories to rule out the exact cause of the problem. If these tests are normal then you can rest assured and relieve your tensions regarding the rash. Otherwise also if the test are abnormal then also can be very well treated without any problem.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)