Have asthmatic. Started getting gastric problem, headache and stomach ache. Diet plan?

Aug 2012

My mum is 64 years old and has asthma for the past 35 years. now she has very bad gastric problem and cannot eat most of the things. at times she has severe head aches.her gastritis has made her so weak and anything she eats, she has heart burn and pain in her stomach. i am so worried about her as she hardly eats anything. can you please tell me what can i get her to eat and what is best for her. i really hope to hear from you and would appreciate your assistance. thank you.
also what food can she eat if she has heart burns and painful stomach. she takes an asthma tablet which i am not aware of the name and she inhales the symbicort inhaler. what tablet is best for her to take for her gastritis.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 21 minutes later
I hope the basic investigations are done for your mother's gastritis. If not, then please get the following tests done as she is 64 years old. You must know the basic reason for her severe symptoms: ECG, Liver function tests, Hemoglobin, USG abdomen and pelvis and esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGD) by a good Gastroenterologist.
The medication to treat her is Pantoprazole available in the name of Pantocid/ Pantop etc 40 mg one before consuming anything in the morning and one before evening meal. Keep a gap of minimum 40 minutes between tablet and the food. This tablet is available over the counter.

For epigastric discomforts, try softly cooked rice with mild accompaniments- No masala gravies/ dal items. No meat/non veg items. No raw salads/ spicy vegetables. Curd and buttermilk in place of milk/ tea/ coffee will give a lot of relief. No fruit drinks/ juices. Breakfast of wholesome fresh fruits like oranges, watermelon, pears, papaya, other types of melons etc. Avoid apples, kiwi fruits, banana for a few days. All these dietary changes can make huge difference along with tab Pantoprazole.
Eat small small meals every 3 hourly and not big meals with gaps of more than 5 hours.
I hope this all helps. Let me know her test reports and get back for any further query. Take care.