Have asthma from childhood, using Duolin and Salbetol. What are the best medicines?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have asthma from my childhood, currently using Duolin inhaler & eta-salbetol tablets; What are the best medicines?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Chronic asthma is a condition in which a step wise approach of treatment is followed according to the clinical signs and symptoms of the patient, pulmonary function tests and number of acute exacerbations. The standard treatment for control of asthma involves use of long acting beta agonists and steroid inhalers.

Duolin inhaler contains levosalbutamol and ipratropium bromide which is more appropriate for acute exacerbation of chronic asthma.

Oral mast cell stabilizers and leukotriene antagonists like montelukast are also recommended depending on the severity of affection.

You need a thorough evaluation from a pulmonologist who after appropriate investigations will prescribe you the treatment best for you.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.