Ask a Dentist   »  

Have asthma. Noticed enlarged circumvallate papillae after oral sex. Worried for HPV

ENT Specialist
I have what appears to be enlarged circumvalle papillae (almost 3 mos.) and the area just before those seems irriated as well (new). I have multiple environmental allergies and asthma. I also have had oral sex. How do I know if this is hpv? My partner (due to other reasons) was recently scoped by ENT doctor and he had no abnormalities. (I have had a few other partners in the last 5 years, but they were, like me, tested and clean.) I have sceduled an appt with my allergist, changed toothpaste, and plan on making ENT appt. this week but Im very concerned and am looking for any additional information to take with me to these appts. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 46 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The average incubation period for HPV infections is a few months. Lesions may take years to develop.

2. Many HPV infections have no significance and treatment.

3. Get an appointment with a Dentist who can run an OraRisk HPV DNA test on a saliva sample (a Minnesota based diagnostics company).

4. A biopsy of any visible lesion may be done by an ENT Specialist. So do go ahead with an endoscopy.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Have asthma. Noticed enlarged circumvallate papillae after oral sex. Worried for HPV 1 hour later
What / why are the circumvallate papillae raised? What can I do about that?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

Thank You for writing back.

1. Get an oral examination done from a local ENT Specialist.

2. Common causes for inflammation of these papillae are allergy, a post nasal drip, acid reflux, coated tongue, dehydration, fungal infections, vitamin and mineral deficiencies and so on.

3. These causes may be corrected easily. These causes are more likely than an HPV infection. You may also get a throat and tongue swab sent for culture and sensitivity.