Have arthritis. Smoking medical marijuana for pain, kidney got affected. Prognosis?

Dec 2014

I have severe pain from arthritis and the prescriptions that I have been taking are beginning to affect my kidney. ( I was borned with only one kidney) If I smoke medical marijuana for the pain will that affect my kidney?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 50 minutes later

Welcome to Health Care Magic

In general, smoking of any substance have effects on kidney. I will not advise Medical marijuana smoking to you. Although there is no direct risk to kidney with marijuana smoking, but in the presence of single kidney the affects cannot be neglected.

Marijuana is a good analgesic drug, when taken as per prescription information only. And it is also a drug of abuse, so if you want to take it as analgesic don't take it in form of smoke.

As you are 64, 5'2'', and your weight is 250 lbs, my suggestions to you are:
1. Shed a little weight. Weight reduction has positive effects in the treatment of arthritis.
2. Pain killers used in treating arthritis can also cause detrimental effects on kidney. Therefore use pain medicine in moderation.
3. Marijuana can be considered after discussing with your pain doctor if the use of pain medications is to be avoided. Marijuana should be taken as per prescription information only.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions you can ask.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi M.D.
(Consultant Psychiatrist)
Follow-up: Have arthritis. Smoking medical marijuana for pain, kidney got affected. Prognosis? 41 hours later
Thank you for your information.
You said that if I choose to take marijuana for pain do not smoke it. What other forms are there?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 6 hours later
Hi again,

It is also available as oral form. However any form of marijuana used for recreational purpose is not good. If you wish to take it for analgesia, never take it without a proper prescription.

You can take advise of your treating doctor regarding control of pain. Pain can be controlled with a number of other analgesics and also oral form of cannabis available. But never take without proper prescription.

Let me know if you have other enquiries. I would appreciate your feedbacks if all your queries are answered.

Follow-up: Have arthritis. Smoking medical marijuana for pain, kidney got affected. Prognosis? 19 hours later
Can you please tell me what other analgesics can help with my arthritis pain that will not affect my one kidney or be less damaging?
Again, thanks for your help.

Commonly available analgesics like NSAIDs are excreted by kidneys so their use may prove harmful in renal conditions.
Apart from medical cannabis, other drugs like some opioids can be used as analgesic in severe pain associated with renal conditions. But they are highly addictive and they should be used only under prescription of a qualified doctor only.

Opioid like Tramadol (Tramadol hydrochloride) have very good analgesic effects and are safe in renal conditions. Methadone is also relatively safe and less damaging.

Hope I solved your query, kindly review if you are satisfied with conversation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi