Have arthritis. Landed heavily on knee. Having pain and swelling. Do I need surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I landed heavily on my knee from a ladder. I have arthritis in that knee with limited 90degree bend at the best of times. However I now have pain and swelling and when I bend my knee I can feel a lump arising on the side of my knee with considerable pain I can walk but cannot bend the knee without pain and lump arises upon bending 45 degrees Will I need surgery and what is it.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
You must have hurt your XXXXXXX structures in knee due to the fall, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles or bone cartilage. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. Such injuries are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging). You can consult your orthopedician who after a proper examination can recommend the relevant tests.
A mild to moderate knee ligament injury may heal on its own given time. To speed the healing, you can:
*Rest the knee. Avoid putting excess weight on your knee. You may need to use crutches for a time.

*Ice your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.

*Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling.

*Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

*Wear a knee brace to stabilize the knee and protect it from further injury.

*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.

*Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor recommends them.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.