Have artery in front of neck that is pulsating. Normal?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have an artery in the front side of my neck that is pulsating..I can actually see me heart beating in it. Is this normal and what causes this...
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the query I would say that it is a normal phenomenon . What you are talking must be carotid artery pulsations . It is normal for some people to have pulsating artery .

Still if you have any doubts consider talking to cardiologist for this and get a carotid doppler done to rule out any pathology.

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Have artery in front of neck that is pulsating. Normal? 5 hours later
Thank you Doctor so much for your reply....I am a bit concerned as it has been like this all day...it is right above my collarbone and the artery appears to be horizontal rather than vertical....I can watch my heartbeat in it....should I be concerned?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cant say.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam ,

Thanks for reverting back.

Well nothing seems problematic but it is less likely to be carotid it seems more to be subclavian artery because that is horizontal . I will advise you to see a doctor to rule out any aneurysm in this artery .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Have artery in front of neck that is pulsating. Normal? 16 hours later
Thank you again for your reply...it has now been pulsating for 2 days and seems to be bulging just a bit with each pulse, ....should I be concerned?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Well I am really sorry to say but without looking at it , it will be difficult to tell whether it is significant or not . I think you should consult a physician just in case to remove all the doubts from your mind .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti