Have anxiety attacks. Increased toprol XP dosage and alprazolam. Is the medication causing hypochondria?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
just recently I have been suffering from anxiety attacks as confirmed by my cardiologist. After explaining symptoms, having an EKG, wearing a 48 hour holter monitor and a TSH test, he said nothing was wrong, but not happy with bp so he increased my Toprol XL from 50 mg to 100 mg. A follow up bp was OK. I felt better for awhile. Lately the anxiety has returned and when I take my bp it is elevated. I have a presecription for alprazolam (0.25mg) and if I take just 1/2 a pill the bp returns to the acceptable range. Is this due to the drug even in such a small dose or is this just a "hypochondriac" scenario?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Your history is suggestive of the stress as an element of your problem

What you need to follow is stress management

Alprazolam in any dose does not affect blood pressure but indirectly help by relieving anxiety

It is an anxiolytic so there is no issue you can take alprazolam for some time and once you can manage stress by meditation etc you can gradually reduce the same

What I understand from your history is that you have been brave enough to give a tough fight to breast cancer, so it is matter of time only that you will be able to control this situation also

Hope all clear, if you do not have ant more queries do accept our reply

Get Well Soon