Have anxiety, ECG fine. Is there a possibility that something was missed? Worried about having a heart condition

Question
I have anxiety and I'm obsessed about the heart. I've had four ECG and they all have come back fine. The doctors said I'm ok and fit and healthy but is there a possibility that they had missed something or need further tests. I read online that a resting ECG does not detect all heart problems. I'm do worried I have a heart condition please help. Does a ECG show everything that a doctor should know or give any indication that there is a problem.
Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 23 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

ECG is an investigation that detects most of the heart problems only thing that can be missed is stress induced angina which can be picked up in stress test (that is TMT test).
Since 4 ECG have come back normal it is less likely that you have any problem related to your heart.

To confirm this and to reduce your anxiety you may even get a Stress test done. To confirm heart attack blood test of cardiac and liver enzymes like troponin test, creatinine kinase and SGOT are also available which can be done.

All said I would suggest you to relax as the pain in chest you have is most likely due to anxiety or even costochondritis. As information to allay your fears I would like to tell you that a heart attack is less likely in females of your age.

Please relax, the doctors are not missing any major cause related to heart discuss with your physician and he shall prescribe you medicine for anxiety and you shall be fine.

Hope this answer is helpful to allay all your fears. In case of any other query please write back and I shall help you.

Please accept this answer and close this query if you have no other concerns.

Follow-up: Have anxiety, ECG fine. Is there a possibility that something was missed? Worried about having a heart condition 7 hours later
Hi thank you so much for your help...I know sometimes I will go months without thinking about the heart but that sudden cardiac arrest I read about in the paper that happen to a 23 year old fitness instructor really scared me....she had a heart problem which had no symtoms I also have heard of two females that have died in there sleep one of the girls went to the doctors saying she felt unwell and died not long after that....I get a lot of flutters in throat somtimes but I don't know weather its because I have a gastric problem and stopped taking my tablets as I ran out I got put back on them again and my flutters have not come back that often. How do I go about getting the stress test...and blood tests... I think once I have that my mind will be at rest.
I never used to worry about these things until about a year after having my son his now 2 nearly 3...
My chest pain is never in the centre of my chest its more just above my breasts but the pain will only be for about 3seconds then disapear...I've tried to go on medication for my anxiety but I think it is best I do.
Kind regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX;

Thanks for writing back.

I understand your concern. It is really unfortunate to read about such stories. It is a tough job for us clinician to diagnose heart ailment in an asymptomatic individuals.

I appreciate your efforts here. You can get these tests done at a cardiologist's office. Your physician may be able to guide you to him.

Please discuss your concerns to your physician / cardiologist and I am sure they will understand and help you get these test done. In the mean time continue your current medication to take care of gastric issues.

I would also suggest you to relax. If anxiety worsens, your physician can prescribe you anti anxiety pills to help you. You will be fine.

Hope this answer is helpful to allay your fears. Please accept this answer ans close this query if you have no further issues.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have anxiety, ECG fine. Is there a possibility that something was missed? Worried about having a heart condition 8 hours later
Sorry to ask you so many questions but what is like the ratio of it happening is it common at all. I know I proberly havnt got a heart problem I've given birth been through a very stressful period in my life and I'm still here I suppose its mind over matter. Just need some reasurance.
Kind regards

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX;
Thanks for writing with your concerns.
There is no particular ratio but it is very uncommon for a female to get major heart problems at your age of 24 yrs. I reassure you that as you are going through stress you are getting worried regarding heart problems.
Please do not worry I would suggest you to just relax and visit a Cardiologist and he will help you getting investigated and settle all your fears related to heart problems.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
Please accept this answer and close the query if you have no further questions.
Warm regards