Have anemia. Tested positive for blood in stool. History of colitis diverticulitis, bleeding ulcers. Prognosis?

I have anemia 10.5 hemoglobin.A test came up positive for blood in my stool which i cannot see.I have a history of anemia colitis diviticulitis and bleeding ulcers.I am very tired and worried I am 40 years old and had this problem since I was 30, i also have had acid reflex what could it be. I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy coming up .What could be wrong? Should i be in the hospital ? Am I GOING TO DIE OF CANCER? Please help!!
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.

Screening the stool for occult or hidden blood is one of the screening tests that are used to detect any abnormalities in the colon. Normally at least 3 samples are examined.
The blood , if found, can be as a result of different conditions and does not necessarily mean that you have colonic cancer.

Colonic cancer can be detected mainly by : stool samples done yearly, sigmoidoscopy done every 5 years, barium enema every 5 yrs and colonoscopy every 10 yrs.
The reason that the spacing is 5 to 10 yrs for the sigmoidscopy, barium enema and colonoscopy is : the cancer takes a period to develop.
If you have undergone other procedures looking at your colon within the past 5 yrs, it reduces the chance that cancer has developed in that time period.

In addition, when the colonoscopy is done, if clear , it means that you do not need to be screened for colonic cancer for 10 years.
If cancer is found, then it may be at an early phase which would allow effective curative treatment.Treatment advances are such that the cure rate has substantially improved and there is a decrease in mortality.

With a previous history of divericulitis, it is quite possible that the blood is secondary to bleeding from the diverticulum and not related to cancer.

It is difficult , without the findings of the colonoscopy, to predict prognosis.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions