Have an epileptic seizure. On epilem 700mg and keppra 250mg. What is the cause of this seizure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
i have an epileptic seizure about every 6 to 8 weeks and always in my sleep, it seems to build up and after it happens im good for a few weeks. have you ever had a simalar case or any idea what might be causing these siezures. no medication has helped me and im on 700 epilem and 250mg keppra at night before i go to bed
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Epilepsy is an episodic problem, and it tends to repeat at intervals. So, it is not unusual for someone with epilepsy to have seizure episodes at 6-8 week intervals.

Regarding occurrence during sleep, epilepsy generally is more common during sleep. However, certain epilepsy syndromes lead to seizures mostly during sleep. One such seizure type is benign rolandic epilepsy. Another is frontal lobe epilepsy.

EEG recording can help us diagnose these conditions.

Anti-epileptic drugs in appropriate dose can help one to prevent the recurrence of epileptic seizures.

Your weight is not known, but you seem to be on low dose of medications.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any additional queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India

Follow-up: Have an epileptic seizure. On epilem 700mg and keppra 250mg. What is the cause of this seizure? 25 minutes later
How much is too much epilem (valpro)? im 75 kg and have 700mg of it each day. i dont want to damage my liver.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

The dose of epilim (valproate) is 15-60 mg per kg body weight. For you, the lowest dose should be 15X75 mg (1125 mg). So, I feel you should take at least 1000 mg per day. Please discuss this with your neurologist.

Also, the liver damage seen with epilim is not dose dependent, but it is idiosyncratic. This means that those who have to get the liver damage can get it at any dose. It is not related to the dose of epilim.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,