Have an acidity problem, burning sensation in the throat which aggravates after having dinner. Suggest?

I have an acidity problem. I have a burning sensation in the throat which aggrevates after having dinner.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

This is called GERD which stands for gastroesophageal reflux. It basically means that there is reflux or return of stomach contents up to the esophagus causing a burning feeling.

There are other possible symptoms such as : feeling as though the food is stuck, bloating, problems swallowing,increased saliva.

Treatment is as follows:(1) if there is any excess weight it should be reduced, this is because the weight puts pressure on the stomach and causes the acid and food to go back up
(2) eat small meals frequently. Instead of large meals use small meals and snacks
(3) avoid food that is spicy. fried, fatty, citrus fruits or juices, tomato, chocolate, peppermint, caffeine, vinegar and carbonated sodas.
(4) wait at least 2 hours before laying down after eating
(5)some persons have to elevate the head of the bed

If the above do not help you, you may need medication for GERD. These include medications such as omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole,esomeprazole. You would have to visit your doctor to have one of these prescribed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions