Have allergies and sinus problems. Taking Allegra-D, Nasonex, and Claritin-D. Suggestions?

I have allergies and sinus problems and have seen an allergist recently who has diagnosed me as being allergic to the following: 3 out of 9 weeds, 8 out of 16 trees, 7 out of 10 grasses, 15 of 20 molds, as well as dust mites. I have been taking Allegra-D, Nasonex, and recently started alternating Claritin-D also. We live in the country, surrounded by trees and farmland, so it is impossible to escape this stuff. I grew up in VA. Beach, by the ocean, and never had these problems, except occasionally. My husband and I lived in Puerto Rico for three years before he retired from the Navy, never had any problems there, in spite of the fact that there were things blooming all year long. My allergist told me that as one gets older, problems usually get worse. I do have some family members who also have allergies. Is there anything you could recommend that I take? I will be turning 73 years of age next week. Thank you. Sincerely,XXXXX
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoiding all these precipitants.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that any allergy only manifests when the person gets exposed to the allergen which leads to release of allergic reaction mediators from the body .

You are being given right treatment . It is not always true that these allergies worsen with age sometimes they resolve on their own .

Avoidance of any of these allergens will be golden for you . If your allergist feels then a short course of steroids may prove beneficial to you . Practise respiratory exercises , they will help you out . Taking steam clears out the sinuses so highly recommended Since your many family members suffer from same problem you may have a genetic tendency towards allergies .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Have allergies and sinus problems. Taking Allegra-D, Nasonex, and Claritin-D. Suggestions? 56 minutes later
I also meant to ask you about the 12-hour nasal sprays. I have used Mucinex and it helped tremendously with the congestion, which usually occurs a few hours after I lay down at night. I realize you are not suppose to use these more than 3 days. However, would it be ok to use them regularly, just not every day? Also do you have a suggestion besides the Nasonex? To me, the Nasonex doesn't seem to work as well anymore. I have heard about NasalCrom, but don't know anything about this. Also I do have a Neti Pot, but heard you have to be careful and boil the water first, then let cool before using, because of bacteria. What are your thoughts on this? Really appreciate your help. Thank you, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Mucinex is a safe medicine . You can use it when symptoms are there but not on everyday basis.

Nasonex contains mometasone which is a steroid and highly efficacious . I will advise you to stay with it . Nasalcrom is Cromolyn Sodium which can also be used but in my opinion nasonex is a better option.

I will advise you to stay away from neti till you are unwell . Imstead I will recommend you plain water steam inhalation that will clear your sinuses .

But you have to ask and follow your treating doctor advise as he is the best judge of your situation.

Dr. Shruti