Ask a Dentist   »  

Have abscessed tooth, pus and swelling in gums. Feeling light headed, severe vertigo. Are they related?

Hello. I've had an abscessed tooth for a couple years now,it doesn't hurt anymore it just fills with pus and swells the gums. I woke up one morning with severe vertigo and it lasted for a week straight and since then I feel lightheaded and off balance. Could this be from my tooth?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 47 minutes later
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Vertigo is a disorder in which one can experience dizziness due to dysfunction of the vestibular system. It is often associated with nausea and vomiting as well as a balance disorder, causing difficulties in standing or walking.

As you have mentioned you have an infected tooth with an abscess untreated, such a tooth can cause lightheadedness. This happens when the infection spreads into the nerves of the ears which in turn can cause you to become dizzy. Our ears control our sense of balance so when an infection spreads to this area dizziness or vertigo becomes present.

I suggest that you visit a dentist and at least ask for an antibiotic to reduce the infection.
This is only a temporary fix and I highly advise you to either have the root canal completed or get the tooth extracted in order to prevent other health concerns.

I hope this information helps you.

Do write back if you have further queries,

Dr.Farah Hussain.