Have abscess on right side of groin, swollen glands. How to get relief?

I have a abscess on my right side of my groin area. It seems as if my glands are swollen.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
An abscess in the groin with swollen lymph nodes is suggestive of an infection in the area.
A surgical drainage of the pus has to be done under the cover of broad spectrum antibiotics to control the infection.
You need to consult the surgeon for the procedure needed. Till then you can clean the area. Wash it with savlon or mild soap and water and then remove the debris, dead tissue and pus from the area using a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution till you can see the red or pink colored tissue underneath it or active bleeding is seen. Bleeding helps in removing the infection and early healing of the wound.
Next apply bacitracin or neosporin or soframycin ointment or antibiotic powder over the area and cover it with a thin cotton cloth and preferably bandage it to keep the area covered to prevent it from further infections.
Get it examined and go for a tetanus shot and the antibiotics required to control the infection after consulting your primary physician.
1. Give enough rest to the affected part.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Hot compresses to the area will be useful pain relieving measure.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.