Have abdominal discomfort with dark stool. Had surgery of gallbladder removal. Done blood test. Normal?

Gastroenterologist
Question
hi, I had gallbladder surgery about 6 months ago and had a large stone removed. Previous to the surgery and even after, my upper abdomen has been distended. I have a feeling of fulness and burning. I am normally constipated so started taking probiotics and Metamucil which helps me somewhat. In the last few days I have some very unusual bowel movements. My stool is very dark, almost black, with little pellets that are attached to a long string like substance. It doesn't appear to be mucous.
I need to add that a blood test I had two weeks ago showed my liver reading was off, so I had it done again but have not received an answer yet. Any idea what can be causing this problem?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

You have dyspeptic symptoms. Black stools may indicate upper GI bleed.
You need to undergo an upper GI endoscopy for evaluation.
Continue taking metamucil.

Since you have crossed 50 and that you are having constipation, I would also suggest that you get tested for stool occult blood and also have a colonoscopy done.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have abdominal discomfort with dark stool. Had surgery of gallbladder removal. Done blood test. Normal? 30 minutes later
Thank you.
Is there any chance that this indicates a problem with my liver? The liver blood test read ALT     82. AST 86
Why the strange shape and color of the stool? I forgot to mention that it smelled acidic.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Your liver function test shows that ALT and AST are slightly on the higher side. But the symptoms you have is not related to it.

The abnormal shape is due to constipation.

As suggested before you require both an upper GI endoscopy and a colonoscopy.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini