Have a white itchy spot on groin area and penis after unprotected sex. Could it be STD?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
Hi. I have a white itchy spot on my groin area, right by the penis. I had unprotected sex last september/october 2011 and the itchy patch appeared sometime around january/february 2012. It itches the most when I sweat down there (workingout etc.) I've also gotten sick over this past summer 2012 with cold like symptoms twice in a span of a month or so. I'm terribly afraid I may have an STD. Can you please help me?
Ps. I also have this persistent cough. I don't feel sick or anything but after the 2nd time I got sick this past summer, the cough won't go away. I don't know what triggers it, but when i inhale and exhale deeply, it does not trigger it, nor is there wheezing.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
I note your history regds unprotected sex; this is never a good thing..what is done is done but please do practice safe sex hitherto.
Coming to the main issue, the groin rash appears un-linked & is probably just a 'stand-alone' fungal infection going by your description.
I recommend you start using a 2% ketoconazole (antifungal) soap on alternate days while bathing & leave it in contact for 10 mts with the skin.
Use a topical 1% terbinafine cream twice/daily on the region for 10 days & add on a 200mg fluconazole capsule taken once/week for a 2 week period. (the latter may require a medical practitioner's prescription unless your pharmacist is kind enough to honour this transcript)!
Treat all your undergarments/towels/fomites in hot water & dry well in the sun & iron out the creases, do shift to the use of jockey style of 'shorts' as underwear except while indulging in sport!
As for the cough, do get yourself asessed by a physician on the ground.
As you seem to be correlating all this to that exposure a year ago, please do the standard battery of tests including an ELISA for HIV, VDRL, Urine routine & IgG/IgM for Herpes virus. All this should help clear your symptoms & set you on the road to recovery!
Wish you good health!
Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist