Have a vascular bundle behind eardrum. Ear infection was treated with medication. Help?

ENT Specialist
I have been told I have a vascular bundle behind my eardrum. Is there anyway of expediting its disappearance? I had an ear infection which has been treated with medication.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

With the brief description you have mentioned, it is very difficult to arrive at a diagnosis. I will try; make a sincere attempt to diagnose about what could be the problem.

With respect to your age and the hint you have provided regarding the presence of a vascular bundle behind your ear drum, my first suspicion is of a Glomus Jugulare (Glomus Tympanicum). Glomus is a vascular lesion affecting the temporal bone of the skull. It is a rare condition of the ear and is usually noticed in elderly individuals. The symptoms include recurrent ear infection, bleeding from the ear, reduced hearing, difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), dizziness, pulsations in the ear, pain, facial weakness, etc. It is diagnosed with a High resolution CT (Computed tomography) scan of the temporal bone or MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging).

Secondly, there could be an aneurysm (small dilatation) of the minute blood vessels present in the middle ear. This could be again related to the age and presence of co-morbid conditions such as hypertension or diabetes or raised cholesterol levels in the body. This is usually treated by cauterizing the aneurysm after lifting the ear drum.

A proper diagnosis, rules the treatment modality. If you can provide me with the further details about the findings of your doctor and the prevailing symptoms, I can help you in a better way.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon