Ask a Dentist   »  

Have a tooth that is chipped and seems to be oozing a salty taste. What do I do?

I have a tooth that is chipped and seems to be oozing a salty taste. What do I do?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 55 minutes later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Teeth brittleness usually is the cause for chipping. The necrosed soft tissue in it along with accumulated pus inside would cause the salty taste. Since the treatment varies depending on the tooth affected, please mention which tooth you are taking about - anterior (front) and posterior (back) teeth. Also mention whether, it is horizontally chipped or vertically chipped? Any associated pain or bleeding present or not?

Please provide these details, so that I can help you towards better treatment.

Awating your response...

Follow-up: Have a tooth that is chipped and seems to be oozing a salty taste. What do I do? 16 minutes later
Chipped in half, back right in front of wisdom tooth. What looks to be a giant abcess that I just noticed along gum line. Filling my mouth up with salty saliva every few minutes
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 4 hours later
Hello..and thanks for reply.

As per the history, it appears that your second molar tooth is decayed and has developed abscess in relation to it.

Any developed abscess should be drained directly or through root canal.

Therefore, presently you should visit your dentist and get an x XXXXXXX done.

If enough healthy tooth structure, is present then the abscess can be treated through root canal treatment. Later on, the tooth can be saved.

The second suitable option is extraction.

If the tooth is completely decayed and can no longer be saved then you must go for extraction.After the socket(extracted site) heals you can go for a bridge.

Presently, you must do warm saline rinses.

Also do rinsing with antiseptic mouth washes, like Hexidine 0.1% or listerine, to avoid salty taste and maintain good oral hygiene until you see your dentist.

Upon consultation, you can start a course of antibiotics and analgesics.

Hope I have explained you the treatment options in details.

For further doubts please let me know.