Have a rough rib on both sides under breast bones. Is this normal?

Excellent

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
I noticed I have a "rough" rib on both sides under breast bones. My dr said tht they are normal. Is this normal? I can feel the same thing I think on both sides . I guess the ribs are not smooth. Is this normal ?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 12 minutes later

Thank you for your question.

I think what you are feeling is the cartilage that attaches the rib to the breast bone. There may be a roughness and they will be the same on both sides. This is normal so is nothing to worry about.

I hope I have reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Have a rough rib on both sides under breast bones. Is this normal? 48 minutes later
Thank you! She did mention cartilage , and also said those rib bones are tougher no smooth. Does that make sense?!

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 hours later
The cartilage may not be tougher but is more flexible than bone. So, yes, I think I am describing the same area that your doctor is looking at.
Best regards,
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA