Have a red spot on hip. Was using anti fungal cream. Suggest the cure?

I have a red spot on my hip it's as big as a 50c piece, sometimes gets itchy, noticed it about 3 weeks ago. It has stayed the same size and has stayed very red, the last to days it has started to flake. At the start I thought it was a ring worm and was using anit fungal on the area but the last week I have only been using paw paw on it. Please help?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can take 2 to 3 week for improvement

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fungi are difficult to treat because they respond slowly to infection. It can actually take 2 to 3 weeks for a rash to respond to consistent medical treatment.

From your description, it does sound like a fungal infection. The other type of rash that would be itchy like you describe and small would be a contact dermatitis.
This is a rash that is found as a result of contact with a particular agent to a part of the skin.

If there is no history of contact of that aspect of your skin with anything that could have resulted in rash, then it is likely fungal (ring worm).

Treatment would involve the application of a topical antifungal for 2 to 3 weeks. Examples would be econazole, ketoconazole, miconazole, lamisil.

For the first 3 to 4 days, you may also want to use a topical steroid because would reduce the inflammation and itchy. It should not be used beyond this.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions