Have a protruding disk in vertebra. Have had pain in upper chest and collarbone which intensifies breathing. Can I get a breast reduction?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a protruding disk between c-3 and c-4 vertebra, diagnosed thru MRI last fall. I have rx for ultram that has lost effectiveness.But,recently have had pain across upper chest and collarbone that intensifies when breathing in. Neck and upper back also in more pain than have been in awhile. I haven't noticed that I have done anything different to cause additional pain. Pain is constant in neck and upper back. But, recently the pain in chest, collarbone, is new and hurts more upon breathing in. Im a very large chested female. 46 I cup. Looking to getting a breast reduction. I work 12-13 hrs a day. 40-48 hrs a week. Half the time at a desk. Again RX Ultram has lost effectiveness, but have used 2-4 pills a day for last 6 months. Upper back pain for 20 years. biggest concern right now is the upper chest pain, above breasts, by collarbone. pain hasnt gone away in last 48 hours.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the upper chest and near the collar bone is likely to be related to a myositis or muscle pull due to overuse of muscles.
For symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle. Avoid lifting any weights.
2. You need Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants for adequate relief.
3. Hot compresses to the affected area will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order an MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.