Have a lump on inner thigh. Got it cut and drained it out. Having pain. What to do?

I have a lump on my right inner thigh I went to my dr. last month he cut it open and drained it but it came back and it is still draining a little bit but I have pain when my under clothes rub on it.

Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

From your description, it sounds like you had an abscess to the thigh that was incised and drained.
An abscess is a localised collection of pus.

When these are drained,some amounts of pus can remain and cause re infection and new abscess formation.

In some cases the walls of the abscess have to been broken down by probing with an instrument and the wound has to be left open by leaving guaze in it for a few days to allow any remaining pus to drain out.

YOu need to consider re visiting your doctor who would likely need to incise the area again.
Since it is a recurrence, your doctor may consider a course of antibiotics.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions