Have a large, movable, painless lump on the left side of lower abdomen. Should I be concerned?

Hello Doc,

I have a large painless lump on the left side of my lower abdomen (right where the v shaped muscle usually are). It is soft and moveable. The right side has a similar lump (which I believe is normal for men) but the left side is much bigger. It has been this way for a while but I am wondering whether I should be concerned about it, or just let it be.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

First and foremost, no lump is present normally, unless it is a hypertrophied muscle in body builders.
The way you describe looks like a swelling arising from one of the structures below the skin, like fat.
Though usually these swelling are not serious, when you happen to consult your family doctor for other reasons, it is wise to get examined.

Wishing you best health,