Ask a Urologist   »  

Have a foley catheter. Noticed strings and clots of blood in the collection bag. Should I be concerned?

Question
I have a foli catheter and for the last couple of days I have noticed strings and clots of blood in the collection bag? Is this something of concern and do I need before my next appointment a little over a week away?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is not unusual to have a small amount of blood in the foley bag. The bulb sometimes rubs on the inside of the bladder and can traumatize the small blood vessels near the surface. This can be normal and should go away over a short period of time. On the other hand, it can also be a sign of infection. You should be on a prophylactic antibiotic while it is in place. If you are not, then call your doctor tonight. If you are and the bleeding is not gone in the next 12 hours then you should also call your doctor.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions!!