Have a firm movable lump on collarbone. Not attached to skin and movable. What is it?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
30 year old male. Have a firm moveable lump about 0.5cm on my collarbone. It seems to sit just underneath it and can be moved from underneath collarbone to top of collarbone. Its on right hand side and sits to the right almost where the collar bone starts to join to shoulder. Its close to surface of skin but not attached to skin. Again it seems to kick away when I touch it. Is this is normal lymph node? Hodgkins ? Limpoma ? Cyst or something else??
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Hi
thanks for your query.
The swelling which you are describing looks benign (not anything serious) to me. It can be either a small normal lymph gland, lipoma or something of similar nature. I don't think you need to do anything for it now.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Have a firm movable lump on collarbone. Not attached to skin and movable. What is it? 16 minutes later
I didn't think you were meant to be able to feel lymph nodes on this area ? The nis node is not above the collar bone but almost on it but just at the bottom of it but depending on how I position myself it can move above it as well, are limpoma not mant to be soft ? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 minutes later
There are lymphnodes in that area, small and freely mobile, just as you mentioned. Small lipomas can also feel firm, but not hard. Such swellings we can feel in many but do not investigate unless there are other such swellings, fever, ill health, weight loss, etc.

Follow-up: Have a firm movable lump on collarbone. Not attached to skin and movable. What is it? 7 minutes later
Ok thanks, last question,as its hard to measure exact size even if it was 1cm would this be still fine ?

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 minutes later
Yes, till 1 cm its fine. But if there are doubts about the size you may show it to a physician near you and get reassured.