Have a boxer's fracture 5th metacarpal. Will there be any complications if surgery is not done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
ihave a boxers fracture in my 5th meta, they said surgery is most likely. what is the worst case sernarior if i just keep it in the splint?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A boxer's fracture of metacarpal bones can be treated both surgically as well as conservatively by a cast.
When a boxer's fracture occurs, it is possible for a portion of the metacarpal bone to move out of normal alignment. This is called angulation. The amount of angulation will determine what type of treatment is required to ensure proper healing.
If the angulation is more, then surgical treatment is recommended for proper alignment of the metacarpals.
The treatment by cast is considered when the angulation is less. In case you insist for conservative treatment in more angulation, then a malunion of bones is likely causing a visible deformity of the hand.
The splint that has been shown to be effective for some boxer's fractures of the little finger is to buddy-tape the ring finger and little finger together. The doctor will decide what type of splint will treat the patient's fracture the best.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Follow-up: Have a boxer's fracture 5th metacarpal. Will there be any complications if surgery is not done? 6 minutes later
You didn't answer mybquestion
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I am sorry i could not explain myself adequately. I will now try again.
The worst scenario depends on the degree of angulation at the fracture site. In case the angulation is less and the orthopedician is able to do a closed reduction adequately then you might get a normal functioning hand with no long term disability.
If the angulation is more and reduction is not proper then malunion of the bone can cause a deformed finger and reduced function of the affected finger. Long term pain and joint stiffness may persist. The degree of deformity depends on the extent of angulation. So, a physical examination is necessary to exactly assess the long term damage on conservative treatment by splinting.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.