Have a black spot on the roof of mouth. Blood came after poking. Roof of mouth is itchy. What is this?

There's a black spot on the roof of my mouth - just noticed today; it's a small bump and when I poked it, there was a bit of blood. The roof of my mouth has been a little itchy with allergies - have I just scratched it or should I be concerned. It doesn't hurt - just a little sensitive.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 34 minutes later

Looks like you have developed a localized collection of blood at the roof of your mouth. Now this is very similar to the development of a bruise over the skin which is the purplish discoloration of the skin after any trauma.

These kinds of lesions can develop in the mouth after any kind of oral trauma in the form of scratching or itching. This is what has happened in your case.

I can assure you that you need not worry for the lesion if it is in acute one, meaning that it has developed suddenly over few hours.

Firstly try not to touch the lesion. Do not scratch the area any further. Take betadine gargles twice a day. For this take a glass of cold water, put five ml betadine into it and do gargles.

The small hematoma that has formed will heal in its course of three to five days. Take vitamin c oral supplement alongside to hasten the healing process.

However If you feel that the lesion persists for more than a week, then you should consult a dermatologist.

Hope it helps,
If you have any other query, please let me know. I would be happy to help you

Wishing you speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have a black spot on the roof of mouth. Blood came after poking. Roof of mouth is itchy. What is this? 1 hour later
Thank you so much, Dr. XXXXXXX You've put my mind to rest.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 hours later
Very happy to help you..