Have PCOS, gaining weight, have sedentary lifestyle. Kindly help me

I am mother of 3yr old kid.I was diagnosed with PCOS last year.Due to that im putting on weight,I have sedentary lifestyle too.KIndly help me with the same.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Most women at some point have to contend with weight gain. But for women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), losing weight can become a constant struggle.
 If you have PCOS, certain lifestyle changes can help you both shed pounds and reduce the severity of the disease.
With PCOS, the body has more difficulty using the hormone insulin, resulting in hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance.
High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. 
No matter what the cause, weight gain can be detrimental to your health. Women with PCOS are more likely to develop many of the problems associated with weight gain and insulin resistance, including:

type 2 diabetes
high cholesterol
high blood pressure
sleep apnea
All of these conditions can lead to heart disease

Weight loss can improve insulin sensitivity. That will reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and other PCOS complications.
Your doctor may also prescribe medication. Several medications are approved for PCOS, including birth control pills and anti-androgen medications. The anti-androgen medications block the effects of male hormones. A few medications are used specifically to promote weight loss in women with PCOS. These include:
1... (Glucophage). Metformin is a diabetes drug that helps the body use insulin more efficiently. It also reduces testosterone production. Some research has found that it can help obese women with PCOS lose weight. 
2....Thiazolidinediones. The drugs pioglitazone (Actos) and rosiglitazone (Avandia) also help the body use insulin. In studies, these drugs improved insulin resistance. But their effect on body weight is unclear.
3.... Rimonabant (Acomplia). This obesity drug has been shown to promote weight loss in women with PCOS. 

In addition to taking medication, adding healthy habits into your lifestyle can help you keep your weight under control:

Eat a high-fiber, low-sugar diet. Load up on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and avoid processed and fatty foods to keep your blood sugar levels in check. 

Eat four to six small meals throughout the day, rather than three large meals. This will help control your blood sugar levels. 
Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day on most, if not all, days of the week. 
Consult your doctor for the proper evaluation and prescription of medicines.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.