Have PCOD. Proper treatment for weight loss?

Hello Doc,
This question is regarding my wife. She is 5 feet 4 inches tall. She weighs 73.6 KG. She is having PCOD.
As you know the main treatment for this is weight loss as consulted by doctor from seven hill hospital.

For weight loss currently she joined this diet clinic named HEALTH TOTAL by XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Today was her 1st day. In the morning she started her day by taking 2 glasses of XXXXXXX warm water with few drops of lime juice in it. Then she drank 1 cup juice of coriander and mint leaves. For breakfast she ate masala oats. After that she took tablet prescribed by the dietician from the HEALTH TOTAL clinic. These tablets are ayurvedic herbs which was prescribed to detoxify her system and was asked to be taken for a week before she can begin with her diet plan. During lunch she ate 2 chapatis made up of XXXXXXX (this was also given by the clinic) with pickle. Since then she is vomiting whatever she is taking in (vomitted twice) with headache and feeling nausea. During the second time when she vomited she also had slight pain in her chest. After vomitting she felt better however headpain still persisted. Please note she has not eaten anything since lunch.

Please advice and what need to be done.

Waiting for your sooner response.

Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 20 minutes later
Hi, Welcome XXXXXXX.

Thanks for writing in.

You are correct in respect of treatment of PCOD that weight reduction is first thing to do.
Her intentions are good but not be the best way to reduce weight. It should be slow and steady.

Due to sudden change in food habit and diet there is difficulty in adapting diet plan. Ayurvedic tablets prescribed may have side effect of nausea and vomiting. Chest pain was due to vomiting only.

I will suggest give her a regular dinner with no spices depending on her wish. You can include light food like rice and dal. Don't keep her hungry, it will increase headache. The headache is because of low sugar levels induced because of the plan that is followed and dehydration. Give her coconut water and thin butter milk with salt and sugar in it. She does not require medication.

I suggest to consult dietician tomorrow and discuss the problem so that diet plan can be modified. I do not advise any cleansing or detoxifying herbs.

Hope you have already consulted gynecologist for the same because PCOD also needs medical treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further concern, please let me know.