Have IBS, colonoscopy indicates diverticulosis. Can I continue Providac daily?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I AM SUFFERING FROM IBS.. COLONOSCOPY INDICATE DIVERTICLOSIS.CAN I CONTINUE PROVIDAC ONE DAILY BEFORE DINNER.METIZSR ONE DAILY TWIC GeNaton50mg twice daily FIBER AT NIGHT. AT PRESENT NUMBER OF MOTIONS SEMISOLID BLOTING OF STOMACH DISCOMFORT STOMACH PAIN. IAM VEGETARIAN NO DIET PLAN.CAN I TAKE BOILED EGG.ANY OTHER MEDICATION OR REDUCE PRESANT.
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all I would like to know how has your IBS been diagnosed? I`m asking you that, because the IBS can be diagnosed only when any other disease associated with ibs-like symptoms are ruled out. One of them is large colon diverticulosis. It is very common that IBS is misdiagnosed.
To diagnose IBS many tests should be performed: gastroduodenoscopy (to rule out peptic ulcers, duodenum stenosis), colonoscopy (to rule out diverticulosis, colon cancer, Crohn disease, colitis ulcerosa), blood tests with liver tests, pancreas tests, stool tests, urine tests (to rule out any inflammation related diseases, liver diseases, pancreas diseases, parasites), abdomen ultrasound (to rule out gall stones, biliary tract diseases, urinary diseases), allergic tests (to rule lactose intolerance), abdomen CT with contrast (to rule out any small intestines narrowing diseases). Sometimes psychiatrist visit might be necessary as IBS reasons may have source in human psychics. Some heart diseases, thyroid diseases should be ruled out as well.
As you have colonoscopy performed and diagnosed in diverticulosis, maybe that`s the reason of your symptoms? If you suffer from lower left abdomen pain associated with nausea, constipation, and fever (not always present), these symptoms are from diverticulitis. Some people have recurrent diverticulitis (it happens when a piece of stool sticks in diverticula and irritates it so it becomes inflamed(you can easily get to know if you are in inflammation stage by symptoms and by increased inflammation markers like WBC and CRP). If this happens couple of time, surgical remove of diverticuled large intestine is advisable. So the conclusion is that if diverticulitis is a reason of your symptoms it turns that it`s treatable.
I`m writing it, because IBS patients in most cases do not know how to deal with their disease.
It might also be possible that your diverticula are caused by IBS related constipations.
If it`s about medicines you have mentioned, Providac is dosage of natural intestine bacteria (so no contraindications for you), GeNaton is an antacid medicine which can cause constipations (you should not use it), fiber is fine. I do not know what "Metizsr" is.
You can eat boiled egg as well. Generally you should drink more water, use fiber-rich products, and have more physical activity to stimulate bowels movements.
If it is about any other medication, you should ask you Gastroenterologist to try Mebeverine, some proton pump inhibitors, and you might try Rixmine.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Have IBS, colonoscopy indicates diverticulosis. Can I continue Providac daily? 24 minutes later
thank you.most of the tests done by gastroentalagist. as regards medicine do you recomend colpsa

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Hello!

I`m sorry, I do not know what "colpsa" is, can you please provide me with ingredients?
We can discuss this once we have the ingredients.

Hope this will help.

Follow-up: Have IBS, colonoscopy indicates diverticulosis. Can I continue Providac daily? 9 hours later
COLOSPA 235MG AND MEBIZ SR 200MG BOTH CONTAIN MEBIVENEHYDROCHLORIDE WHICH WAS RECOMENDED BY YOU WHICH ONE SHALL I TAKE CAN I CONTINUE BREATHING EXERCISE WHICH I AM DOING DAILY THANKS

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Breathing exercises may be very helpful in anxiety control and if it helps you, you can continue it.

There is no significant difference in Colospa and Mebiz a ingredient is the same (just different brand name). Just a dosage is different. I suggest you to use Mebiz 200 mg once a day as prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this will help.