Have Heart by pass, aortic aneurism stent, stent in renal artery and pacemaker. Suggest foods to be avoided for patients with pancreatitis?

Oncologist
Question
Please list the foods that are O.K. Or the foods to stay away from with pancreatitis.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good question

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

In a setting of pancreatitis you want to make sure that food which you consume provide the least amount of stress on the pancreas.

Certain foods which you will want to avoid include heavy fried or fatty foods. this includes french fries or fatty meat. For I chicken for example would be something you would want to avoid. also it would be reasonable to avoid foods that are high in sugar as well. Refined sugars are also something that you would want to avoid in the setting of pancreatitis.

you should try to focus on a good well-balanced diet with fruits and vegetables. it might also be reasonable to eat smaller meals rather than larger meals. You might have for example 4 to 6 smaller meals on a daily basis compared to three larger meals.

lastly it is extremely important that you avoid any type of alcohol consumption. This place is a significant amount of stress on the pancreas as well.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Have Heart by pass, aortic aneurism stent, stent in renal artery and pacemaker. Suggest foods to be avoided for patients with pancreatitis? 1 hour later
Don't understand, "Avoid l Chicken?" What does l stand for?

How about baked: ( removing excess fat of course), chicken? Beef? Pork? Sausage? Fish?

What if one uses with each meal; Pure encapsulation's Pancreatic Enzyme Formulae??
Along with A 15 Billion Probiotic?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

This was meant to read fried chicken. You can consume lean chicken or lean beef. I would avoid pork however.

supplementary enzymes or probiotics are not necessary. these are only products that I would take on the supervision of a specialized gastroenterologist who is seeing you on a regular basis.

I think fish is reasonable. Sausage is also something I would avoid. There is simply too much fat associated with this product and this can possibly exacerbate your pancreatitis.

Thanks again for sending your question. As always, I am available to answer any follow-up concerns.

Dr. Galamaga