Have Groenouw's and Fuchs and scheduled for cataract surgery. Is it safe?

If I have Groenouw's and Fuchs and get cataract surgery what are the risks?

I have upcoming cataract surgery but I am concerned about the negative results because of these pre existing conditions
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Corneal dystrophies and cataract

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

From the history you have provided you have two different types of corneal dystrophies.

Groenouw's dystrophy is a rare dystrophy which affects the central portion of the cornea called as stroma of the cornea. Undergoing cataract surgery will not cause any risk or complication . But if the Groenouw's dystrophy by itself is of severe degree causing opacity of the cornea you may require corneal transplant surgery either with cataract surgery or after cataract surgery.

Coming to your Fuchs dystrophy, it affects the innermost part of corneal called as endothelium. Doing cataract surgery will lead to loss of endothelium cells and in case of Fuchs dystrophy all ready decreased endothelial cells may be further reduced causing endothelium related problems like corneal edema.

Hence I advice you to undergo evaluation of corneal endothelium by specular microscopy to know the status of the corneal endothelium cells. Depending on the status of endothelium cells you may undergo cataract surgery alone or cataract surgery and corneal endothelial graft.

If the endothelial cell count of cornea is good some precautions during cataract surgery like using higher viscoelastics will decrease the loss of corneal endothelial cells.

Hence I advice you to discuss with your surgeon regarding all these issues and undergo corneal endothelium examination to decide the type of surgery and the precautions to be taken.

Hope I have answered your query

Thank you
Follow-up: Have Groenouw's and Fuchs and scheduled for cataract surgery. Is it safe? 18 hours later
At my age of 76 and with taking into consideration of Fuch's and Grenouws should I wait as long as I can or proceed as you answred
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is better to wait.

Detailed Answer:

Considering your age,I think it is better to wait as long you can carry out your work and daily activities without any problem. Cataract may take several months or few years to progress and cause diminution of vision.
Once the level of visual acuity decreases below the level where it will become difficult to carry out your work and daily activities, you can undergo cataract surgery.

Hope I have answered your query

Thank you