Have GERD. Noticed swollen and sore throat. Having discomfort swallowing. What can I do?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Just saw my Endocrinologist 4 weeks ago and everything looked fine except for my nodules which have not changed in 2 years. Since returning to Afghanistan 3 weeks ago, I am having aching in neck/esophagus and only left gland swollen. Tonsils not swollen and throat not sore. Neck is stiff and having discomfort when swallowing. I have GERD, but it does not seem to be that. Take 100mg of Doxycycline daily (antimalarial). Started taking it twice in case it was infection. At a loss here and not getting better. Pain not consistent. sometimes it is nearly gone, but comes back full force. Thanks, Tony
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: I hope you got ultrasound done for your thyroid nodule if so please let me know the result of same. If the size of thyroid nodule is not changing over 2 years (as per Ultrasound report) it is good news and if at any point of time the size increases you should get a FNAC of thyroid nodule done. As regards the neck stiffness hope with the treatment you have been taking, things will settle. You may complete the course of Doxycycline (did you have Malaria for which it is prescribed or you have been taking as preventive measure?) It looks like wry neck which will improve with time. If it's hurting you may use muscle relaxant with pain killers. These drugs may not be available over the counter, you might need a prescription. In addition it would be worthwhile to visit a local physician who can examine if necessary as you also say that your left gland is swollen, needs examination particularly if that is a discrete swollen cervical lymph node and to ascertain cause of same. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. with best wishes. from Dr Chowhan Dr Chowhan