Have Dandruff. Nothing works. Suggest treatment or medications?

Hi Doctor.. I have Dandruff for the past 2 years, tried out different medication but still this dandruff persists. Please advise me the medications and treatment for dandruff
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 46 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern. Dandruff is a very common condition and affects many.

It is thought to be due to a combination of an over production of skin oil and irritation from a yeast called malessizia.

This appears to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (such as acne), or obesity may increase the risk.

One thing is sure in treatment is that you should not expect over night cure in this condition and often even with medical treatment it can be controlled not cured.

The main stay of treatment for dandruff is shampoo having anti fungal medications, salicylic acid and selenium.

As you tried many shampoos already it is advisable that you visit a skin specialist and get your self examined. At times some local steroid application along with shampooing is advised.

The anti dandruff shampoos which you doctor will prescribe needs to be used on regular basis, initially about 2-3 times in a week and then once controlled once weekly.

Apart from this general measures will also help.

1. Avoid too much of fat in your food. Watch your weight.
2. Take good care of your hair.
3. Take good nutritious diet.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.