Have DVLA test. How long will it take to have normal liver enzyme?

I'm due to have a dvla medical in the next 7 weeks, I don't drink during the week, however, I do drink 1 night at the weekend but probably way too much. I've decided not to drink at all now, however how long would it take to have a normal LFT?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upto 28 days...

Detailed Answer:

The most reliable test during DVLA medical testing is carbohydrate deficient transferring. This is a special test used along with liver enzyme (LFT) recording and mean corpuscular volume (MCV) to analyze patient recent alcohol consumption. If your liver has not be affected chronically due to alcohol yet, the test reports should be less than alarming values if it is done 14 to 28 days after the last alcohol drink.

Since you have not reported liver problems in your medical history, I presume it to be absent. In such circumstance, if you strict to your promise of not drinking, the levels should be ok in the next 4-5 weeks.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Have DVLA test. How long will it take to have normal liver enzyme? 23 minutes later
Thank you, i do take citalopram 30mg, will tgat affect my LFT?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Citalopram very rarely affects liver function. The chances of liver problems secondary to citalopram is less than 1%.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.
If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion.