Have COPD, use inhaler and Albuterol. Take Amlodopine. BP is always high. Suggest medicine to lower BP?

Nov 2013

Hi, I have COPD, use a rescue inhaler and use Albuterol in a nebulizer qid. My doctor has prescribed Amlodopine which I take nightly because of the dizziness it produces. Of course, my blood pressure stays up there. Is there any SAFE drug that could lower my blood pressure. They have also prescribed a Spiriva inhaler. Have also tried Advair and Flovent - not sure any of then work for the COPD. I take a baby Aspirin daily and have had a few TIA's.
Just can't understand why the US is not backing research on adult Stem Cells for COPD!
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

For control of blood pressure, you can take olmesartan or telmisartan. Both are very effective as well as safe in patients with COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). In COPD, we need to avoid all beta blockers such as atenolol, metoprolol, etc, as they may worsen the COPD.
Regarding COPD, you are on correct medicines.

Please continue aspirin to prevent further TIAs or stroke.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)