Have Ankylosing spondylitis. Took anti-inflammatory drugs including methotrexate. Prescribed humaira. Suffer constant pain. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am looking for a doctor who specializes in Ankylosing spondylitis. I have suffered with this disease since I was 19 with no remission. I am now 51. the anti-inflammatory drugs have never really work and i have been through most of them including the methotrexate route. I have been on the enbrel for about 13 years and while that did more than anthing, it is not quite working as it use to. I moved on to the Humaria, but I get a really bad reaction from that. My doctor does not really seem to understand the disease as she has prescribed the humaira, anti-inflammatory drug and 3 muscle relaxers a day. I am in constant pain and my muscles are very rigid, but I cannot function on 3 muscle relaxers a day. I have started massage therapy which is helping some, but I would love to find a doctor who was progressive and understood the disease a bit better. I feel like it is out of control again and I cannot stop it.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Main stay recommendation is physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There is no cure for ankylosing spondylitis, but treatments can decrease your pain and lessen your symptoms.

The drugs enbrel and humaria are biologics and have shown to decrease the pace of the disease. As you get bad reaction to humaria, ask your doctor to switch on another biological drug.

But the main stay recommendation for ankylosing spondylitis is exercise. Physiotherapy combined with swimming, stretching, yoga etc. are used in conjunction with medical treatment. So dont stop exercising.

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness.
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.