Have 5 inch long nevus on forearm. Using cocoa butter. How long should it take to work?

Dermatologist
Question
I HAVE A FIVE INCH LONG NEVUS ON MY FOREARM.I AM USING COCOA BUTTER FOR MASSAGING IT.THEN APPLY MEDERMA IN MORNINGS.APPLY RETINO A .05% CREAM+EPILITE LOTION (HYDROQUINONE LOTION).WILL THIS WORK?IF YES HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR THE SCAR TO GO?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

The nevus or birth XXXXXXX is resistant to all the topical medications.

The nevus will take long time to go and it may not go also.

It may take anywhere around 6 months to 1 year.

It may not respond also.

Ideal treatment for nevus would be surgical excision or laser surgery.

Both can be provided by a dermatologist. Please visit dermatologist for the right line of treatment.

If you can upload photo of the lesion it would be more informative for me to comment.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatologist.

Follow-up: Have 5 inch long nevus on forearm. Using cocoa butter. How long should it take to work? 36 minutes later
A few years back I have got a laser surgery (a surgery wherein they burnt multiple layers of the skin to get rid of the scar)done.Post the surgery I have a thick black scar left, as post surgery the doctor did not give me the right treatment.Can that be treated with the treatment mentioned above?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
hi again,

Post surgery scar cam be treated by the methods you have described.

In the scar also, treatment takes a long time to show results .

Also earlier the treatment started better is d result.

In addition to what you are using a gel called Vaniza can be tried.

It helps in the scars.

Hope this helps.

Regards.