Has ulcerative colitis and infection of Iodamoeba butschlii, given flagyl. Suggest treatment?

my brother has ulcerative colitis and an infection of iodimeba butschilii which was treated with flaggyl. he is getting no relief is flaggyl the best treatment for this paracite
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

I butschlii is a non pathogen and usually doesn't cause any harm and need not always be treated however in an immunosuppressive state it could lead to an infection. Metronidazole ( Flagyl) is the right anti biotic for an amebic infection but adding chloroquine with dehydroemetine leads to better results in the case of I butschlii, please approach your treating doctor with this suggestion.

Hope, I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me.