Has swelling and pain in ankle. Diagnosed with Osteochondritis Dessecan and advised surgery. Suggest alternative to surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My wife has a swelling and pain in her ankle. We have been advised that this condition is Osteochondritis Dessecan and our Doctor advises surgery. Is there at all any option apart from Surgery to rectify this. What is the probability of success for a surgery to help in recuperating.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later

Apart from surgery, conservative treatment (immobilization in form of plaster cast for 6 weeks) can be done if it discovered immediately after twisting injury to ankle.

If it not recognized early, the bone fragment may not heal. In this case surgery is the only option to treat the symptoms.

There is feature to upload reports and xrays, please utilize them sothat I can help you in better ways.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing her speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Orthopaedic surgeon