Has rheumatics problem, leg-knee problem. On homeopathic medicines. Now on folitrax, folvite. Side effects?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My father with age 70 has rheumatis problem past 10 yrs , and so sufferred from leg knee problem first started with one knee and around 5 yrs back to the second knee - in which past 7 yrs he was taking only homoeo and siddha treatments. past 3 yrs under treatment by Rheumatologist and under his advice undergone knee replacement surgery ( bilateral- both knees simultaneously. Now taking the following medicines
Saaz tabs daily
folitrax 10 mg - once in a week-monday
Folvite Tab - once in a week-tuesday
what is the side effect of the medicines taken by my father with age 70
for the Rheumatism problem? He does not have BP or Sugar problem . Pls advise
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Your father is most likely suffering from severe osteoarthritis with rheumatoid arthritis due to which he had to undergo knee transplantation surgery. The treatment he is taking right now are disease modifying drugs.

The common side effects of folitrax include- nausea, drowsiness, compromised immunity, anaemia, oral ulcers, recurrent infections, dermatitis, diarrhea, hepatitis, hair loss, etc. 10mg once a week is a minimal dose with minimal side effects. It is usually well tolerated even in old age.

Folic acid is a water soluble essential nutrient of the body with almost no side effects.

Tablet Saaz contains Sulfasalazine and it may cause headache, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, loss of appetite and sensitivity to sunlight.

If your father is tolerating the treatment well with improvement in his symptoms then he can continue taking the medicines as prescribed to him by his rheumatologist.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal