Has purple dotted rash on lip. May be developed after eating something. What could this be? Should I be concerned?

My 20 month old daughter has got a purple dotted rash under her bottom lip rather like the ring of a cup she's been drinking from has left it's XXXXXXX or she's got an allergic reaction from something she's drunk or eaten messily ? I noticed it a little earlier today after she had eaten strawberries ( which she's eaten loads of times before with no reaction) and just assumed it was berry juice. But now after bath time it's clearly a rash. She's not got any other symptoms and is fine in herself and has not eaten anything unusal today. Is it possible for a child to develop an allergic reaction to something they have had no problem with before ? And should I be worried ?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Indeed it is possible for the body to develop an allergic reaction to something that was tolerated before; this is known as loss of tolerance; it represents a delayed, allergic response after prior or repeated expossure; this is more common with citric foods and sea food introduced early in the diet of the child. It manifests usually as a contact dermatitis, a red, linear, circumscribed rash in the area in direct contact with the antigen, in this case a food (eg. strawberries, blueberries, mangoes, etc).

I don't think it is something to be worried about if no more severe allergic manifestations, such as swollen tongue or lips, difficulty breathing or wheezing are present.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Department of XXXXXXX Medicine, Div of Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN