Has problem in studying, following instructions, speech and shy to talk to people. What can be done?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter is 6 yrs old, she has problem in studying, even follow instructions, she is very shy when it comes to talking to people outside the home, also her speech is not clear yet, she is also lagging behind in her studies
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 15 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Your daughter needs proper evaluation.
He is still very small and there is score for improvement.
For speech problem get her hearing tested and assess for speech therapy.
For studies,get her on one to one teaching.
Devote more time to her

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Has problem in studying, following instructions, speech and shy to talk to people. What can be done? 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply

My daughter is suffering from adenoids, and also she is underweight, her doctor told us to get a surgery, but then we didn't do it since she was so small. Also she doesn't respond quickly, we have to call 3 to 4 times to make her respond us. when we teach her, her concentration level is low even in the school, her teachers told us that she does not mingle with any body nor she talks to the teacher for any kind of doubts, she doesn't answer their basic questions as well

Please suggest a few methods I can use to improve this from my end
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
I suggest the following.
1 A good ENT examination,testing for hearing.
2 build up confidence in her,
Do not let her feel discouraged.

3 Kids have different forms of learning disability.
She needs a good neurological and pediatric psychological assessment to rule out autism spectrum disorders and other learning disabilities.

4 do not threaten her ,be patient and give her one to one coaching.

5 discuss her problems with the school teacher frequently.
Often dyslexia is not understood by the teachers with a crowded classroom!
Good luck
Dr uma