Has pain in torso where leg bends with hip numbness. has fractue in back. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My 92 year old mother has bad pain where her right leg bends at the torso, plus some numbness down on that hip. She also has a fracture in her back, so h er chiropractor hasn't been able to do much so far. What to do?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Hip & Spine degeneration.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The most propable cause for your mother's pain could be due to arthritic changes (wear & tear) in the hip joint as well as lumbar spine. At your mother's age degenerative changes are common.

Numbness down the leg may be attributed to a nerve compression by the degenerative discs and the facet joints in the spinal canal. Diabetes may be another contributing factor for neuropathy causing numbness.

Plain xrays of the Hip joint and Lumbosacral spine will show up the severity of arthritic changes. An MRI scan of the L.S.Spine is needed to establish the diagnosis of nerve compression.

Symptomatic treatment for her condition include
* Simple analgesics like Tylenol or Aleve as needed
* Regular supplements of Neurotropic Vitamins B2,B6 & B12 which help in alleviating the numbness.
* Moist heat fomentation over the painful areas which allows the underlying muscles to relax
* Local massaging of the painful areas with a muscle relaxant gel will yield good pain relief
* Ultrasound therapy and TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) may also be helpful.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Has pain in torso where leg bends with hip numbness. has fractue in back. Suggest? 5 minutes later
My mother can't take Vicodin because it caused her terrible hallucinations.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I personally don't prefer Vicodin combination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

In my practice, I won't prefer vicodin combination (acetaminophen + hydrocodone) for elderly age group patients (like your mother). This is because, hydrocodone is a opioid pain killer which has a tendency to produce serious systemic adverse reactions in elderly patients.

Confusion, fear, unusual thoughts or behaviour are established side effects of vicodin therapy.

So, Simpler analgesics are better tolerated by them. If your mom is not getting adequate pain relief, then you should seek your treating doctors advise.

Good day